Friday, August 7, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

They say being a mom is one of the hardest jobs. I doubt it (as I think of those crazy crab catcher people on the scary ships in the treacherous ocean), but anyways.
One of the reasons they say this is because of the thousands of decisions you have to make on a daily basis...

I am writing as I hear Caleb yelling in his bed for me to get him out. ("Cay-ub want you, Mama!" "Cay-ub can't sweep, Mama!" "Cay-ub want see Ava!" "Cay-ub want dwink cold water, Mama!") Do I go in there? I know what you're thinking...why the heck wouldn't you?

Well, the problem is that he fell asleep in the car while on the way back from my "escape" (dun. dun. dun...)

I was having one of those mornings when I could feel every hair sticking up on my arms...I was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off...I'm talking very little patience from someone who is normally pretty darn patient. So- I packed the kiddos up. No more whining about not being able to find this or that. No more "Wah (hold me) Wah! (pick me up) Whah! (I'm hungry)" cries from Ava...a break- even if it was tiny...they would be STRAPPED down in the back seat, and I could just pretend that everything was under control. Oh and I could then get my junk food (Chick-fil-a) and caffeine fix...

So back to the problem. He usually naps for THREE hours (ahh...nice.) at around 1:30 or 2. But it was noon, and he fell asleep in the car. This usually means his nap for the day will be as long as the car ride (in this case 5 minutes)...unless I could successfully get him into his bed without waking him up. We pulled into the garage and it was do or die. Transfer to the crib without waking him up or he would be awake until BEDtime...Please, Lord, PLEASE let him transfer to his bed.

I successfully got Ava out, put her inside, got Caleb's bed ready, took off his shoes, lifted him out of the carseat...and...Suddenly...he picks up his head, looks at the open car door, and shuts it for me (as if that was his duty and he couldn't possibly sleep through it).

Oh noooooo! So here I am...with my decision. Leave him in there crying and hope he falls asleep. Or save him from his misery and get him up, sacrificing his nap for the day...

I guess there are worse things than spending a little extra time with my growing little man today...wait a second...have I gone deaf? It's quiet in there. Did he finally surrender to peaceful slumber?

Absolutely not. Silence, in this situation, only means trouble... In fact, I just heard him say something about getting on a rocket ship to da moon. Not sure what that means, so I think I'll go and rescue him.

No comments:

Post a Comment